Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Girl...My Lift

Last night my daughter drew a gorgeous tree on a t-shirt for a friend. She is always doing stuff like this but this tree blew me away it was beautiful and trees are hard to draw. So I said "you should go into that" we have been trying to come up with some ideas regarding her college year because she is a senior next year and she wants to start looking at schools. She replied back "yeah but, I am not creative. If you tell me what do draw I can do it..." I just stood there with my mouth open and she said "what?" I explained to her that I had said that exact...and I mean exact same thing so many times in my life.  Anyway that is one of the reasons that I love papercrafts I can have my creative outlet and make beautiful things but I am given the inspiration to do it from other scrappers, magazines, companies, sketches, print ads and even clothing. 

A friend of mine told me about a blog that has message boards that runs challenges and crops. I was/am super excited because the first crop they are running in the month of March is a Lift it crop...hello...talk about my name written all over it!!! I am totally giddy about the whole thing a crop where I have to lift stuff. LOL it was custom made for me I tell you! So today I have my first lift of the crop. It doesn't start until March but this is a pre-crop...the original page was done by Audrey Kit and I kept her layout pretty much the same and just swapped out the photo's and papers. 

I approached this lift a little different than I have in the past and it was kind of a cool approach. I looked at her page and did a sketch of it and then I wrote down next to that the things I saw on her page because I wasn't sure what I wanted to lift. Here is what I wrote down; flags, bakers twine, stitching, buttons, stickers, bling, distressing, layering, calenders, patterns.  


The original had a cute calender page in the background and so I decided to make my own background paper with this banner set. I stamped off and then did a zig-zag pattern. I love how it turned out. Next I did something I have not done in YEARS I tore paper and then distressed the edges. How fun...I guess everything that is old turns new again in everything in life not just fashion.


I also added some flags. I keep seeing these little things all over. I made this one with a hat pin and the inside of a cute ticket stamp with a cute saying. I turned it into a flag instead. I also added some bling to the insides of the flowers and the hat pin. 


Here are the layers. The journaling on this page is just a cute quote about flowers. I rounded all these corners and distressed them as well. 


One more group of embellishments and you can see how the banners look. I like how they are not over powering the page but you can subtly see them in the background.


I didn't end up doing any stitching on my page nor did I get the bakers twine on. Actually I just remembered as I was writing this blog that I was going to add a few buttons with the twine yesterday but got distracted by my daughter and completely forgot. 


I guess I will leave it off - I think it looks ok without it. 


Supplies: all Close to my Heart unless otherwise noted
Cardstock - Cocoa, Colonial White
Pattern Paper - Mayberry
Ink - Desert Sand, Cocoa, Olive 
Stamps - Party Pennants, You & Me
Embelishments - Mayberry My Stickease, Pretty Pins, Sparkles
Other - pop dots, sponge distressign tool

2 comments:

  1. YEAH! I was just dying to see your lift and here it is! WOHOO! This rocks, love how you slanted the title like she did and I love the papers and the way you stamped you own bacground! Super creative! Who makes that stamp set? I must have meself one! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty layout of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete